Content Advisor is Internet Explorer's parental control
software that allows you to restrict the web pages and content that can
be viewed. Content Advisor uses ratings that websites voluntarily
provide to block or allow certain content. Because not all websites are
rated, unrated websites are automatically blocked (but you can choose
to allow them). Once you've adjusted the settings and turn Content
Advisor on, it checks websites as you visit them. The Content Advisor
is controlled by a password so only parents can adjust the settings.
However, what happens if you forget the password or the password no
How to Remove Content Advisor Password in Internet Explorer
following steps will remove any password set in the Internet Explorer
Content Advisor and allow you to reset the program to its original
1) Click on Start and choose Run.
2) Type in RegEdit and select OK.
3) Now click on the little plus sign to the left of H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the left of
the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version
5) Now click on the Ratings folder.
6) In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called Key. Click on it and press Delete.
7) Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit. You've just deleted your original Content Advisor password.
8) Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.
9) Choose View and then Internet Options (or Options for version 3.x). For IE 5 or greater, Click on Tools, Internet Options.
Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a
password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable
Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.
How to Fix Problems with Content Advisor Missing Information
In most cases, this problem occurs when the Ratings.pol file is damaged, follow the instructions below to fix this issue.
1) Quit Internet Explorer
2) Open My Computer, click on Tools, Folder Options
3) Click on the View tab and make sure "Show hidden files and folders
" is selected, you may also want to uncheck the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types
" and click Ok
4) Double click on Drive C
in My Computer
5) Double click on the Windows
folder and then double click on the System
6) Search for the file RATINGS.POL and right click on it and choose Rename. Rename it to RATINGS.OLD
7) Close out of the open Windows and then reopen Internet Explorer
8) Click on Tools, Internet Options
9) Click on the Content tab, then click on Settings
10) Type in the Supervisor password if necessary and click Ok
11) Select the Ratings options you would like and click Ok and close out of Internet Explorer
12) When you reopen Internet Explorer, everything should work.